Last Sunday I noticed that the downstairs sump was kicking on rather frequently, bugger. My F-I-L came over & had a look at the outside (main) sump. After working on it for 30 minutes, he pronounced it dead and went off to the land of orange aprons to procure a replacement. Upon his return, we found that the pipe leading from the old pump was of smaller girth than the one needed for the new pump, so it was back to the land of orange! Upon his return all parts were assembled & the new pump lowered into the pit to alleviate the over-burdened pump in the basement.
Unfortunately, all the extra labor proved too much for the basement pump, it began stutter-starting and then refused to shut off at all, bugger twice. This time I had my dad come over to check the pump, and he found the diaphragm switch broken. An exact replacement was $70, however, with a little searching in the great inter-tubes I found a suitable substitute for half the cost. Huzzah! The brown truck of happiness should deliver it on Monday. I can't wait for Heath to be back so I don't have to rely on others for this sort of thing anymore!